Monday, December 8, 2014

It's December!

Hola!

Christmas is coming, can you believe it? I can't! It doesn't feel like Christmas time, but I've been listening to Josh Groban for months! If you haven't seen the video He is the Gift, go watch it now, it’s the best!

It’s been a pretty good week! We started off with a 1/3 mission training with President on Tuesday, which was incredible. We learned a lot about charity. I learned that charity is not just loving someone, but making every single thing you do an act of love for others. In a way, it’s never thinking about yourself, even when you feel justified to do so. It is a way of living and a gift from God. If you sincerely ask for it, you will receive it, but it won't be easy.

Every single time any words come out of President Riggs' mouth I feel called to repentance, which is good, but hard, haha. Last week in my letter to him I said something about how I felt like we worked really hard during the week, and even though we didn't reach our key indicator goals that I felt good. Then at the training we talked about the importance of those key indicators. So today when I email him I will take back what I said last week. :/

I made a banner for our apartment that says, "Finish Strong--Start Fresh". It’s to remind us that even with the Holidays coming we can't stop working. We can make this time of the year the best part of the year. And then when the New Year starts we don't want to have slacked off and build back up, but we want to continue being as strong as we were and make goals to improve and change. This works perfectly for missionary work, but it works for you in your lives as well! Finish strong and start fresh. Just keep moving forward :)

Our Christmas Tree
We got a package one night this week from Hermana Pettit's friend. We have a couple presents to open every day until Christmas with scriptures that match them. We read the scriptures first and have to guess what it is before opening. We are a really good guessing companionship!

One day when we were in the library, we met a guy named Simon who thought he knew me, but I had never seen him before. He was talking to us about Thanksgiving and said he celebrated Jimmy Hendrix's birthday. Hna Pettit didn't know who he was, so Simon said, "He's like the Joseph Smith of rock and roll!" I laughed SO hard! It was so funny, even though it’s not that accurate, haha

This week I ate cow heart. It was really weird. I'm sure I would have liked it if I hadn't known beforehand what it was. But I had a hard time eating it all. Peruvians eat weird things!

We went over to the Deza's house again. This family is so incredible! They were baptized in June, but you would think they had been members their entire lives. They are super strong and amazing! Hno Deza was telling us about a trial that he is going through in his family. He is the only member, so his siblings are having a hard time with it and it was a whole long thing. And I was there listening, and because I am a baby, I cried. I was so happy that they trusted us enough to tell us this whole story and if I was in the situation I wouldn't know what to do. But it broke my heart that he had to go through something like that though. I know that we were there specifically so that we could hear that story, strengthen the trust and bring more people unto Christ. I am so amazed by the strength of these members and I just love them all!

We went to lunch with the other Hermanas in the ward one day. We went to a house of one of their investigators. It was so extremely awkward. Me and Hermana Pettit were trying so hard to talk to her, but she would give some pretty short answers and then keep eating. The others weren't really making an effort to talk so we ate in silence...easily the most awkward situation I have been in on the mission.

Jilma is going to get baptized when she gets back from Guatemala!!! She is leaving in January and coming back in February and then she will join the church! We are so excited :) It’s been a long time coming, and we still have a while to go, but she's going to do it :) I am seriously so happy!

As a missionary, sometimes you do service activities. The one we got to do this week was for a birthday party. We built some beautiful cakes! They were like wedding status cakes. I was so proud of them. We made tres leches with Hna Soliz from our ward and then decorated them and took them to the church. Driving those things gave me a heart attack. We had one part in the trunk and Hna Pettit was holding one in the passenger seat next to me. I was so scared they were going to move and get ruined, but it was a success! I didn't get to eat any of it, but it sure looked pretty!

We got an MP3 player in the mail from Sister Smith in the Cuillard's ward in Utah and we found "Glorious" by David Archuleta on it and we have been listening to it nonstop since then. It's amazing. Thank you Mama Smith!

Yesterday was a great day, but also the hardest day of the week. It started off perfectly with an ideal lesson about the Plan of Salvation. Then we went to church and that is always great, I just love taking the Santa Cena. During third hour I started not feeling so well, but I had to lead the music at a baptism right after church. It was a great baptismal service and Anael was so happy to get baptized. He is 17 and from Honduras, learning English. Afterwards there was dinner. It was fast Sunday, so normally I would have been super hungry, but I only ate a few bites of salad, so I knew something was wrong. We ended up staying at the chapel until 6:30ish and then went to another 2 lessons. I was just praying the whole time that I would be good enough to teach, so during the lessons I felt great! But when we were driving and when we got home I just had no energy. At 9 last night I had a 99.7 fever, so I went to bed early and tried to sleep it off. When I woke up this morning it slowly went away and I'm fine now. But I wasn't feeling good enough to go to DC yet, but next week I will! Oh, and another miracle from last night, Francisco is going to be baptized on January 24th :)

Ups and downs all week long, but I always know that I am where I am supposed to be. I'm doing my part in the hastening out here and working as hard as I can. I know this is going to be one of the best Christmas's ever because I have the opportunity to be doing the Lord's work. I am beginning to truly understand the meaning of Christmas and how important it is to share what I know. I love you all and will miss being with you, but know that I'm loving where I am :)

Love,
Hermana Moberly

PS-A JOKE: Why were the Lamanites knees always sore?
There were too many Nephites (knee fights)
I know my dad will love that one :)


No comments:

Post a Comment